Articles and Publications

License Requirements

What are the licensing requirements for an insurance agent, and what do all those abbreviations mean on my agent’s business card?

Anyone who has read an insurance contract quickly realizes that insurance is highly detailed and complex. The sale of insurance is a significant responsibility. Insurance agents are required by law to be licensed for each category of insurance they sell. Each category has prelicensing education and exam requirements. For example, life accident and health agents are required to complete 40 hours, and property casualty agents must complete 90 hours of course instruction. The courses must be approved by the New York State Insurance Department. Successful candidates must achieve at least 70% on a difficult exam. In addition, the law requires licensees to complete 15 credit hours of instruction for each license held, during the two year licensing period applicable to that license.

The abbreviations on your agent’s business card refer to professional designations obtained through significant continuing education and testing. These designations are indicative of a commitment to knowledge, excellence, and professionalism in the field of insurance. Some of the more common designations are: ARM – Associate in Risk Management, CIC – Certified Insurance Counselor, CLU – Chartered Life Underwriter, CPCU – Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter, LTCP – Long Term Care Professional, REBC – Registered Employee Benefits Specialist…and too many more to include in this space.

contact us

Anchor Agency, Inc.
Pioneer Plaza
652 Albany Shaker Road
Albany, NY 12211

Phone - 518.730.3200
Fax - 518.730.3199
Email -
The Hartford