Articles and Publications

Landlord General Liability

I rent office space in a multi-tenant commercial building. Who pays if a visitor to our business gets injured in a common area of the building (ex: stairway), prior to actually setting foot into our space?

Assuming that you or your employees are not negligent, your landlord’s General Liability Insurance should pay for any physical injury to a visitor in the common area of the building.

That said, it is important for your company to carry this type of insurance as well.

Commercial General Liability is usually offered in a package with Property Insurance. This coverage is the most basic type of commercial insurance and is limited to liability claims of bodily injury or property damage. Coverage is provided for accidents on your premises or at your customer’s location. You and your employees are covered if, for example, you physically damage a client’s server. It is important to remember that these policies exclude errors and omissions type claims related to the delivery of your professional services.

If you have only one form of business insurance, it is most likely Commercial General Liability. CGL policies cover claims in four basic categories of business liability: Bodily Injury, Property Damage, Personal Injury (including Slander or Libel), and Advertising Injury.

In addition to covering the claims listed above, Commercial General Liability policies also cover the cost to defend or settle claims – even if the claims are fraudulent. In addition, even if your company is negligent or liable for damage, injury or loss to another’s property, reputation or health, your businesses assets can be protected with adequate insurance coverage.

contact us

Anchor Agency, Inc.
Pioneer Plaza
652 Albany Shaker Road
Albany, NY 12211

Phone - 518.730.3200
Fax - 518.730.3199
Email -
The Hartford